Start exploring your skills and interests while also discovering new career paths with the skills and interest surveys on Illinois workNet! Provided by the Illinois Career Information System (CIS) (brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security) these surveys are free to use at any time!
What are they?
The skill and interest surveys are short questionnaires that give you an opportunity to explore what makes you, you.
- Interest Profiler (10-20 minutes) - The Interest Profiler can help you identify your interests and match them with a wide variety of careers. Results are displayed as a score between 0 and 30.
- Work Importance Locator (5-15 minutes) - The Work Importance Locator can help you learn more about your work values and help you decide what kinds of jobs and careers you might want to explore.
- Career Cluster Inventory (5-25 minutes) - This inventory will identify which career cluster(s) may be a good fit for you.
- Reality Check (5-10 minutes) - This check helps identify specific occupations to choose from based on the cost of living expenses in a specific Illinois city and your lifestyle.
- Learning Style Survey (5-10 minutes) - This survey can help you determine how you learn best; auditory, tactile, and visually.
Why should I use them?
Knowing what you are good at and what you are interested in can help you make the best career choice. When you find a job that matches your skills and interests, you are more likely to be satisfied and find success. Employers are also more likely to notice you.
The skill and interest surveys take you through questions that will help you identify your skills and interests, so you can move toward a career choice or career change.
Who should use them?
The skill and interest surveys are ideal for:
- Individuals exploring careers.
- Individuals exploring a career change.
- Youth exploring what skills and interests they have.
- Any individuals who want to learn more about themselves.
How can I get started?
It’s super easy, just follow the steps below!
- Log in or sign up for an Illinois workNet account using the links at the top of the site.
- Once logged in, go to the My Dashboard bar and click the "Skills and Interests" button.
- You now have the option to take any (and all) of the four surveys.
- When finished, click the Assessments tab, then select “Sorts and Assessment Results" to view and save (look for the star to save). You can come back at any time to review or retake a survey.