Cloud computing is great because it is convenient and offers a great deal of flexibility. For example:
- What if you lose your phone or your computer crashes? If you have your information saved in the cloud, you haven't lost all of your pictures, videos, apps, music, and documents.
- What if you have a group project that needs to be completed, but you can't get together as a group? Putting together information from various files can be time consuming. Instead, have the group use a tool like Google Drive. Multiple people can open and edit documents at the same time.
- Don't have enough storage space for your digital files? Save it in the cloud so that you do not have to purchase and maintain additional hardware.
- Are you at a friend's house and they don't have the word processing software you need? This is not a problem if you saved your document in the cloud, like your Microsoft account. You can still access and edit documents if you have Internet access.
There are a few things to consider when using the cloud. Remember:
- Internet access is required. You must be able to access the Internet to access information saved in the cloud.
- Security. Most of the time, your information is going to be safe and secure, but there have been incidents where systems were hacked. For your own safety and security, be mindful of what you make available online.
Are Able To:
- Generally understand how cloud services work.
- Set mobile device settings to save information in the cloud.
- Upload photos and share photos using tools like Instagram or Flickr.
- Upload and create document files in Google Drive or your Microsoft account (OneDrive).
Have Basic Skills and Are Able To:
- Share resources. For example, use social media or online tools for transferring and sharing large files.
- Participate in online communities or groups to stay up to date on current trends and technologies, or to find job opportunities.
- Use online docs, spreadsheets, and wikis to collaborate.
- Use notifications to stay updated as new information is posted.
Have Intermediate Skills and Are Able To (one or more of the following):
- Design basic campus, data center, security, voice, and wireless networks.
- Securely implement and maintain network technologies.
- Securely implement and maintain cloud technologies.