In a typical work setting, agricultural products graders and sorters:
- Have very low levels of social interaction. Graders and sorters usually work alone. When they do speak to others, they do so face-to-face.
- Often work as part of a group or team.
Physical Work Conditions
- Almost always work indoors while inspecting products. Work sites may not have heating or air conditioning.
- Work physically near other graders and sorters.
- Must be accurate and thorough in their work.
- Repeat the same physical activities.
- Work at a pace set by machinery, such as conveyor belts carrying products.
- Make some decisions independently, but usually take direction from supervisors.
- May work longer hours during harvest time and shorter hours the rest of the year.
- May work overtime to meet production goals.
- May work evenings, nights, or weekends.