In a typical work setting, bill and account collectors:
- Have a high level of social contact.
- Deal with unpleasant, angry, or rude people daily.
- Are often in situations where there is a disagreement with debtors.
- Write letters, memos, and e-mail weekly.
- [ More ]
- Communicate with debtors by phone everyday.
- Work with others as part of a collection team.
Physical Work Conditions
- Often work indoors when making phone calls and writing letters. Occasionally work outdoors when searching for information about debtors.
- Work within two feet of others, such as during meetings.
- Must fully complete and be exact in their work. Errors could lose money for business customers.
- Repeat the same physical or mental activities during the workday.
- Can make most decisions without talking with a supervisor first.
- Can set some tasks and goals without talking to a supervisor.
- [ More ]
- Often make decisions that affect the credit history of others.
- Meet strict deadlines weekly.
- Work a regular 40-hour week.
- May work nights and weekends to locate debtors.