In a typical work setting, computer engineers:
- Almost always work as part of a team of engineers.
- Communicate by e-mail, phone, and in person on a daily basis.
- Have a medium level of social contact. They meet with clients and staff, but also spend time alone designing systems.
- Have some responsibility for the work done by others.
Physical Work Conditions
- Always work indoors.
- May share office space with others.
- Must make sure that all details are performed and are completed accurately. Errors could cause computer systems to malfunction.
- Regularly make decisions that impact clients and their company's reputation. They rarely consult a supervisor before deciding a course of action.
- Set nearly all their daily tasks and goals without consulting another.
- Must meet strict weekly and monthly deadlines.
- [ More ]
- Work in a somewhat competitive atmosphere.
- Repeat the same mental and physical activities, such as using a computer.
- Work 40 hours per week.
- May work evenings and weekends to meet deadlines or solve a problem for a client.
- Generally work a set schedule.