Applications Developers

Information Technology > Applications Developers > Preparation
Occupation is in demand for the following regions: Central, West Central, East Central, North Central, Northeast, Northern Stateline, Northwest, Southeast, Southern, Southwest, Statewide
Applications Developers

Applications Developers - Preparation

To work as a computer engineer, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent; and
  • have a bachelor's degree.

Education after high school

Computer engineers usually have at least a bachelor's degree. A master's or doctoral degree (PhD) is good preparation for many jobs.

Many college majors qualify you for this occupation. Computer engineering is an obvious choice, but there are other options. Software engineers often have a degree in computer science or software engineering. Many hardware engineers study computer or electrical engineering. Some computer engineers have a degree in math or physics.

Computer engineers continually update their education by attending seminars and taking additional college courses.

Work experience

You should consider participating in an internship with an engineering firm while in college. An internship is usually part of a four-year degree program. It offers you a chance to apply what you have learned in the classroom to a work situation. It also allows you to build skills and make contacts with people in the field.

On-the-job training

Computer engineers often receive on-the-job training. The length of training varies by employer. In general, computer engineers receive up to one year of training. Some receive several years of training. As part of your training you work under the guidance of experienced engineers. You receive greater independence and work on more difficult tasks as you gain knowledge and experience.

Because of the fast changing nature of this field, employers often offer training in the newest computer technologies and applications.

Military training

Some branches of the military train people to become computer systems officers or electronics engineers. You need at least a bachelor's degree to enter either military occupation. Some training is provided on the job. The length of training varies by your area.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.