Architecture and Construction > Blasters > Preparation
Occupation is in demand for the following regions: Career Cluster

Blasters - Preparation

To work as an explosives worker, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent;
  • have one to five years of related work experience; and
  • complete long-term, on-the-job training.

Education after high school

Some people train to be explosives workers by taking mine technology courses. Some two- and four-year schools offer these programs. Most of the schools that offer this type of program are in areas of the country where there is mining. These programs typically take one year to complete.

Work experience

Explosives workers often start in other mining occupations and gain experience on the job. You typically need one to five years of experience.

On-the-job training

Most explosives workers receive training on the job from an experienced worker. During training, you learn to:

  • place and detonate explosives; and
  • handle and store explosives.

Training typically lasts at least one year.

Military training

Some branches of the military train people to be ordnance specialists. Training lasts 15 to 25 weeks, depending on your specialty. Additional training occurs on the job.

The military also trains a select group of people to be in the special forces. Training for this group lasts about two years.

Workers in both of these occupations use explosives.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.