In Illinois, funeral directors and embalmers have a combined license. It is obtained from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Licensing applicants must:
- be at least 18 years old;
- and have completed 30 hours of college/university credit and have graduated from a 12-month course of study in an approved program of mortuary science;
- or have completed an associates degree in mortuary science from an approved program;
- or have a bachelor's degree in mortuary science from an approved program;
- and have completed one year of training under the supervision of a licensed funeral director and embalmer;
- and have passed the state board exam;
- and have paid examination and licensing fees.
Licenses must be renewed every two years.
Additional licensing information can be obtained from:Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
320 West Washington Street, 3rd Floor, Springfield, IL 62786
Phone: 217.785.0800, Fax: 217.782.7645