In a typical work setting, legal secretaries:
- Have a high level of interaction with clients and staff.
- Communicate by telephone, letters, memos, and in person on a daily basis. They also use e-mail, but less often.
Physical Work Conditions
- Often work indoors. However, they may occasionally go outdoors to deliver documents or attend meetings at other firms.
- Work near others. They may share the same office space or general work area with other secretaries.
- Must be very exact in their work. Errors could cause serious problems for clients or their cases.
- Repeat the same physical or mental activities.
- Often make decisions that affect clients and the lawyers they work with. They make most decisions without consulting a supervisor first.
- Set most of their daily tasks and goals without consulting a supervisor first. They often use calendars of impending cases to determine their schedule.
- [ More ]
- Abide by strict daily deadlines.
- May work full time or part time. Most work full time.
- Generally work a set schedule.
- May work nights or weekends to meet deadlines.