Communications Specialists

Marketing > Communications Specialists > Preparation
Occupation is in demand.
Communications Specialists

Communications Specialists - Preparation

To work as a public relations specialist, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent; and
  • have a bachelor's degree.

Education after high school

A bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, or communications is good preparation for this occupation. Other majors can qualify you as well. The ability to write well is the most important requirement, so take classes that teach writing.

Work experience

Writing for publishing, radio, television, or the Internet can be good preparation.

On-the-job training

Many large firms provide several months of training to new employees. At smaller firms you work as an assistant to experienced workers. You do research, clip articles, and gather information for speeches and press releases.

You should consider participating in an internship while you are in college. An internship is usually part of a four-year degree program. It offers you a chance to apply what you learned in the classroom to a work situation. It also allows you to build skills and make contacts with people in the field.

Military training

Some branches of the military train people to be public information officers. You need a bachelor's degree to enter this military occupation. Training lasts eight weeks. Additional training occurs on the job.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.