In a typical work setting, roustabouts:
- Have a medium level of social contact.
- Are responsible for coworkers' health and safety.
- Are responsible for work outcomes and results of other workers.
- Communicate with coworkers daily in person.
- [ More ]
- Often communicate with coworkers by telephone.
- Work in a group or as part of a team.
- May on occasion be placed in conflict situations.
Physical Work Conditions
- Always wear protective attire such as hardhats, work boots, and gloves.
- Almost always work outdoors.
- Are exposed to very hot or cold temperatures on a daily basis.
- Are exposed to contaminants daily, such as crude oil.
- [ More ]
- Are exposed to hazardous conditions on a daily basis.
- Are exposed to hazardous equipment daily.
- Are exposed to sounds and noise levels that are distracting and uncomfortable on a daily basis.
- Are often exposed to high places.
- Are often exposed to hazardous situations that may produce cuts or minor burns.
- Often work in cramped work spaces that require getting into awkward positions.
- Are occasionally exposed to extremely bright or dim lighting conditions.
- Work in both open and enclosed equipment.
- Work very near coworkers. They often work within inches of other people.
- Are occasionally exposed to whole body vibration.
- Must be exact in their work. Errors can cost companies money.
- Often make decisions that affect coworkers and companies. They are able to make some decisions without talking to a supervisor.
- Are able to set some tasks and goals for the day without talking to a supervisor.
- Must meet strict deadlines on a weekly basis.
- [ More ]
- Often must match the pace of work to the speed of equipment.
- Generally have a set schedule each week. Most workers work 40 hours a week.
- May travel to remote work sites and be away from home for several weeks.
- May work seven days a week, if working at a remote site or on a derrick in the ocean. After seven days on, they may get seven days off. Sometimes they work 14 days in a row followed by 14 days off.