Ship engineers need knowledge in the following areas:
- Mechanical: The design, use, and repair of machines and tools.
- Administration and Management: How to run a business or group.
- English Language: The meaning and use of the English language.
- Engineering and Technology: How to use computers and rules of engineering to design and produce goods and services.
- Transportation: The methods and costs for moving people, goods, and materials.
- Mathematics: The rules and uses of numbers.
- Public Safety and Security: How to protect people and property.