Social Scientists

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics > Social Scientists > Preparation
Social Scientists

Social Scientists - Preparation

To work as a sociologist, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent;
  • have a bachelor's degree; and
  • have at least a master's degree in sociology.

Education after high school

Almost all sociologists have a master's degree or higher in sociology. Research assistants usually need only a bachelor's degree. As a student you can study different areas of sociology, such as ethnic relations, family structures, or gender relations. If you plan on doing your own research, you should study math, computers, and statistics. Take courses that help you develop strong research skills.

To teach sociology at a university, you need a doctoral (PhD) degree. Most colleges and universities offer degrees in sociology.

Work experience

Working as a research assistant for a sociologist is good experience for this field.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.