Land Examiners

Architecture and Construction > Land Examiners > Preparation
Occupation is in demand for the following regions: Northeast
Land Examiners

Land Examiners - Preparation

To work as a surveyor, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent;
  • have a bachelor's degree in surveying or a related field;
  • complete an internship; and
  • have a license.

Education after high school

Surveyors typically need a bachelor's degree. About 26 colleges and universities offer a relevant bachelor's degree program, such as surveying technology. A degree in a closely related field, such as civil engineering or forestry, is often acceptable as well.

Work experience

Most states require four years of surveying experience to become a licensed surveyor. 

On-the-job training

New surveyors generally receive some training on the job. The length of training varies by employer. In general, you will receive up to three months of training.

Because of rapid changes in surveying technology, you spend time each year learning new hardware and software.

Military training

Some branches of the military train people to be surveying, mapping, and drafting technicians. Training lasts nine to 31 weeks, depending on your specialty. Additional training occurs on the job.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.