Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics > Loaders > Preparation

Loaders - Preparation

To work as a tank car, truck, or ship loader, you typically need to:

  • complete short-term, on-the-job training.

Education after high school

No formal education is required for this job. However, many employers prefer that you have a high school diploma or its equivalent.

Work experience

Any experience operating equipment safely can help you get a trainee position.

On-the-job training

Tank car, truck, and ship loaders learn their skills on the job. You begin as an assistant and help set up, dismantle, and service equipment. As you gain experience, you work on more difficult tasks.

Training lasts from several days to a month, depending on the type of materials you work with.

Military training

Some branches of the military train people to be petroleum supply specialists or cargo specialists. Training lasts two to eight weeks, depending on your specialty. Additional training occurs on the job.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.