Tax Advisors

Finance > Tax Advisors > Preparation
Tax Advisors

Tax Advisors - Preparation

To work as a tax preparer, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent; and
  • complete moderate-term, on-the-job training.

Education after high school

A college degree is not required. However, you need formal training in tax preparation. Community colleges and business schools provide these programs. You generally receive a certificate upon completing the course. College-level courses in economics, business, and computers can be helpful.

Work experience

While specific experience is not required, jobs working with people and paperwork are good preparation for this occupation.

On-the-job training

Employers train tax preparers in tax law, forms, and procedures. They also provide training in office procedures and tax software. Training can last up to one year.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.