City Planners

Government and Public Administration > City Planners > Preparation
Occupation is in demand for the following regions: Career Cluster
City Planners

City Planners - Preparation

To work as an urban and regional planner, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent;
  • have a bachelor's degree; and
  • have a master's degree in urban planning or a related field.

Education after high school

Most urban and regional planners have a master's degree. Several areas of study provide good training for this field. Most planners study urban and regional planning but others study urban design or geography. Some planners have a degree in architecture and a bachelor's degree in urban planning. Others have a master's degree in planning and many years of work in the field.

As a student in urban planning, you should take courses in law, land use, and economics. As a graduate student you can focus in areas such as historic preservation, housing, and economic development.

On-the-job training

Some students complete an internship while in school. This is important work experience for finding a job. Look for an internship position at a local government planning office.

As a new urban and regional planner, you often receive some training on the job. In general, training lasts up to three months. One thing you learn during training is your region's land-use laws.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.