Air traffic controllers need knowledge in the following areas:
- Transportation: The methods and costs for moving people, goods, and materials.
- English Language: The meaning and use of the English language.
- Public Safety and Security: How to protect people and property.
- Education and Training: The methods of teaching and learning.
- Customer and Personal Service: Providing special services to customers based on their needs.
- Geography: How to describe the location, features, and relationships of land, sea, and air.
- Telecommunications: The tools used to send messages and data.
- Mathematics: The rules and uses of numbers.