Drafters need knowledge in the following areas:
- Engineering and Technology: How to use computers and rules of engineering to design and produce goods and services.
- Design: Making and using plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language: The meaning and use of the English language.
- Computers and Electronics: Computer hardware and software.
- Mathematics: The rules and uses of numbers.
- Customer and Personal Service: Providing special services to customers based on their needs.
- Building and Construction: The tools and methods used to construct buildings, roads, and other structures.