Adjusters, Insurance

Finance > Adjusters, Insurance > Preparation
Occupation is in demand for the following regions: Central, West Central, East Central, North Central, Northeast, Northern Stateline, Northwest, Southeast, Southern, Southwest, Statewide
Adjusters, Insurance

Adjusters, Insurance - Preparation

To work as an insurance adjuster and examiner, you typically need to:

  • have a high school diploma or equivalent; and
  • complete long-term, on-the-job training.

Education after high school

A common way to prepare for this occupation is to receive on-the-job training. Although it is not required, many insurance adjusters and examiners have a bachelor's degree. There is no single program of study that prepares you for this occupation. However, your major may determine the insurance area you work in. For example, those who study architecture or engineering may work with industrial property damage claims.

Work experience

Experience working in a field related to insurance can be excellent preparation for this work. For example, auto damage appraisers often have auto body repair experience. Many examiners are former police officers or detectives. Work experience in an insurance office is also helpful.

On-the-job training

Insurance adjusters and examiners receive training on the job. In many states, adjusters and examiners are licensed. To keep your license you must complete a certain number of hours of education each year. In addition, employers provide training to new adjusters. You typically begin by working on small insurance claims under the direction of an experienced worker. You advance to more complicated and larger claims as you gain experience. Training often lasts one year.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.