Medical laboratory technicians need knowledge in the following areas:
- Chemistry: The properties of substances and the changes that occur when they interact.
- Biology: Cells, plants, and animals and how they function.
- English Language: The meaning and use of the English language.
- Mathematics: The rules and uses of numbers.
- Customer and Personal Service: Providing special services to customers based on their needs.
- Public Safety and Security: How to protect people and property.
- Clerical: General office work such as filling and storing information.
- Medicine and Dentistry: Injuries and illnesses and plans for treatment.