Horticultural Workers - Physical Demands
Nursery workers frequently:
- Use their hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Repeat the same movements.
- Bend or twist their body.
It is important for nursery workers to be able to:
- Move two or more limbs together (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while remaining in place.
- Use muscles to lift, push, pull, or carry heavy objects.
- Use stomach and lower back muscles to support the body for long periods without getting tired.
- Use one or two hands to grasp, move, or assemble objects.
- [ More ]
- Hold the arm and hand in one position or hold the hand steady while moving the arm.
- Make quick, precise adjustments to machine controls.
- Understand the speech of another person.
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away.
- Use fingers to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects.
- Be physically active for long periods without getting tired or out of breath.
It is not as important, but still necessary, for nursery workers to be able to:
- Bend, stretch, twist, or reach out.
- See details of objects that are more than a few feet away.
- Use muscles for extended periods without getting tired.
- Speak clearly so listeners can understand.
- [ More ]
- Determine the distance between objects.
- Adjust body movements or equipment controls to keep pace with speed changes of moving objects.
- React quickly using hands, fingers, or feet.
- Coordinate movement of several parts of the body, such as arms and legs, while the body is moving.
- See differences between colors, shades, and brightness.
- Choose quickly and correctly among various movements when responding to different signals.
- Move arms and legs quickly.
- Make fast, repeated movements of fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Keep or regain the body's balance or stay upright when in an unstable position.
- Hear sounds and recognize the difference between them.
- While looking forward, see objects or movements that are off to the side.
- See objects in very bright or glaring light.