In a typical work setting, operations research analysts:
- Have a medium level of social contact. They work with managers and consult with people inside and outside of the organization.
- Communicate by e-mail, telephone, and in person on a daily basis. They also write letters and memos, but less frequently.
- Are somewhat responsible for the work done by others.
- May work as part of a team of analysts.
Physical Work Conditions
- Work indoors.
- May share an office with others.
- Must be highly accurate in performing the job and be sure that everything is done. Errors could result in serious financial losses for companies.
- Make decisions on a monthly basis that impact their company and their coworkers. They usually decide a course of action without talking to a supervisor first.
- Set nearly all their daily tasks and goals without consulting a supervisor first.
- Work in a moderately competitive atmosphere where monthly deadlines must be met.
- Generally work regular hours.
- Often are under pressure to meet deadlines and work more than a 40-hour week.
- Work a set schedule.