In a typical work setting, plumbers and pipefitters:
- Have a medium level of social contact. They often work alone, but also talk to supervisors and customers.
- Communicate by telephone and in person on a daily basis.
- Are greatly responsible for the health and safety of others.
- Are greatly responsible for the work done by others (usually those they might supervise).
- [ More ]
- May work as part of a work group or team.
- May on occasion be placed in a conflict situation. People might disagree on scheduling, for example.
Physical Work Conditions
- Work both indoors and outdoors. Plumbers may spend more time indoors. Outdoors sites may be covered.
- Are exposed to hazardous equipment on a weekly basis.
- Are often exposed to hazardous situations that may produce cuts or burns.
- Regularly wear safety and protective attire.
- [ More ]
- Are sometimes exposed to cramped work places that require getting into awkward positions.
- Are exposed to very hot or very cold temperatures when working. Indoor spaces might not be temperature-controlled, and the weather outdoors is unpredictable.
- Are sometimes exposed to contaminants.
- Are sometimes exposed to sounds and noise levels that are distracting and uncomfortable.
- May on occasion be exposed to high places, such as scaffolds.
- May occasionally be exposed to extremely bright or low light conditions.
- Work near others. They often share the same work space with others.
- Must be sure that all details are done and their work is exact. Errors could have serious consequences for the safety of workers.
- Make decisions that strongly impact their employer, customers, and other employees on a daily basis. They make most decisions without talking to a supervisor first.
- Set most of their daily tasks and goals without consulting a supervisor first.
- Work in a moderately competitive atmosphere. They must abide by strict weekly deadlines.
- [ More ]
- May repeat the same physical and mental activities.
- Usually work a schedule set by conditions such as weather, length of contract, or the demands of a project.
- Most work at least full time. Overtime work is common.
- May work evening or weekend shifts or be on-call, when involved in maintenance work.