In a typical work setting, computer systems administrators:
- Have a high level of social interaction. They talk with employees and managers often about computer needs.
- Communicate by telephone, e-mail, and in person on a daily basis. They also communicate by letters and memos, but less often.
- Often work as part of a team.
- Are somewhat responsible for the work done by other workers.
Physical Work Conditions
- Always work indoors.
- May work near others. They often share the same work space with other employees.
- Sometimes are exposed to loud sounds and noise levels, such as from servers and computer equipment.
- Must be very exact and accurate when completing the job. Errors affect everyone using the computer system.
- Work in a moderately competitive atmosphere. They must abide by strict weekly deadlines.
- Make most decisions and set daily tasks and goals without talking to a supervisor first.
- Often repeat the same activities, such as using a computer.
- [ More ]
- Make decisions that impact others and work outcomes.
- Work a regular, set schedule.
- Most work full time. Overtime is common.
- May sometimes be on-call in case of a computer-related emergency.