Back to Agriculture Workers details

Pest Management - Helpful Information

Things to know

If your program does not offer you assistance in finding an internship, you should seek one out on your own. Many employers prefer job applicants who have work experience.

Many pesticides and herbicides are toxic chemicals. Because of this, many states require you to be certified, registered, or licensed in order to work with them. The processes for certification, registration, or licensure typically include an exam and continuing education. This is because pest management technology and regulations often change, and you need to stay up-to-date.

Certificates are generally best if you already have a background in horticulture, agriculture, or some other related field. Also, they're appropriate if you want to work in urban pest control and don't want to wait to learn on the job.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.
Back to Agriculture Workers details