Back to Adult and Vocational Education Teachers details

Agricultural and Extension Education Services - Overview


Programs in agricultural and extension education prepare people to help farmers and ranchers learn necessary skills. Students learn basic agricultural science and pest control. They study methods of teaching and communicating with the public.

When to plant, what to plant, and how to raise farm animals are questions of major importance to farmers and ranchers. At one time, farm families shared their knowledge and support through a local Grange Hall. Many still do, but more seek support from local agricultural and extension education services. As a representative, you would teach proper cultivation to growers of all kinds - even to people who live in cities and care for animals and keep gardens.

Many people with a degree in agricultural and extension education also work as program coordinators, planning different community education programs. You can also become a licensed teacher and teach at local middle and high schools. In addition, you can work as a conservationist or even for the National Parks Service.

In agricultural and extension education programs, your course work teaches you both about agriculture and teaching methods. You study educational psychology and different ways people learn. You learn several methods of communication and how to develop a course from beginning to end.

Your agriculture courses teach you about plant, animal, and environmental science. You study biology, plant pathology, and animal anatomy. Depending on your interests, you can study how to preserve natural resources, the latest breeding and cross-pollination technology, or the safe use of pesticides.

Under 40 schools offer programs specifically in agricultural and extension education services. However, every state has a land grant college that offers agricultural science programs. Many other colleges and universities also offer degrees or courses in agriculture. When two-year colleges offer certificate and associate degrees, students can often transfer the credits to a four-year school.

Source: Illinois Career Information System (CIS) brought to you by Illinois Department of Employment Security.
Back to Adult and Vocational Education Teachers details