In a typical work setting, light truck drivers:
- Have a high level of social contact. They work with freight handlers and dispatchers, as well as customers on sales routes.
- Communicate with others by telephone and in-person on a daily basis. They also write letters and memos, but much less frequently.
- Are responsible for the health and safety of other people using the roads.
- Often work as part of a group or team.
- [ More ]
- Are occasionally placed in conflict situations where people might be rude or angry.
- Are responsible for the work done by others.
Physical Work Conditions
- Drive an enclosed truck on a daily basis.
- Work outdoors while loading and unloading goods. Work indoors while driving or filling out paperwork. Indoor temperatures may not be controlled.
- Are often exposed to contaminants, such as diesel fuel or exhaust.
- Wear protective or safety attire on a weekly basis.
- [ More ]
- Sometimes are exposed to very hot or very cold temperatures while working outside.
- May have to get into cramped positions to reach work spaces, such as the back of a truck.
- Are sometimes exposed to hazardous situations that might produce minor cuts or scrapes.
- Are occasionally exposed to bright or dim lighting conditions.
- Are occasionally exposed to whole body vibration when driving a truck.
- Sometimes deal with sounds or noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Work close to others, especially when unloading trucks.
- Work in a competitive atmosphere where daily deadlines must be met.
- Must be exact in their work and be sure all details are done. Errors could cause accidents on the road that could injure themselves or others.
- Must work at the pace set by their vehicle and traffic.
- Make decisions that affect customers on a monthly basis. They often consult a supervisor before deciding a course of action.
- [ More ]
- Usually set their daily tasks and goals in conjunction with a supervisor.
- Repeat the same physical and mental tasks.
- Usually work at least 40 hours per week.
- May work more than eight hours a day to meet deadlines.
- May work days, evenings, or weekends.